Injunctions and restraining orders


What is a Personal Protection Order?

The Family court has the power to grant personal protection order to protect children, parents and others that regularly spend time with a child.

These are similar to violence protection orders however these are granted through the Family Court rather than the Magistrates Court. Personal protection orders are often granted as part of a matter being heard by the Family Court to provide an additional level of protection to the safety or well-being of the child or carer.

What is an Injunction?

Injunction orders are to prevent a person from taking specific actions. These may be related to entering certain places (such as a home, workplace or school) or they could relate to a wide range of other behaviours. These behaviours and the powers of the Family Court relate specifically to family law and may be various matters such as

  • divorce
  • separation
  • family safety
  • relationships
  • These may be related to either the family, or to the finances

These matters are usually serious and complex and expert barristers are usually briefed to advise, settle documentation and appear in court to ensure that the best possible outcome is achieved and appropriate court orders are obtained.

A variety of court orders may be obtained to prevent:

  • entering certain places such as a home, workplace or school
  • denigrating you, your partner or members of your family in the presence of your children;
  • moving outside the Melbourne metropolitan, or other specified area;
  • removing children from the State of Victoria or the Commonwealth of Australia;
  • discussing any Court proceedings with your children; and
  • consuming alcohol or illicit substances for a specified period of time before you care for your children.

Injunctions & Restraining Orders for property matters

  • dealing with or dissipating assets, including jointly held funds or real estate;
  • further increasing liabilities;
  • making any changes to the structure of companies or trusts in which you or your spouse or de facto have an interest;

Violence Restraining Orders & Misconduct Restraining Orders

These orders are granted by the Magistrates Court and may relate to matters of a more varied nature than the Family Court orders. We can also provide you with assistance to any of these matters.

Contact Us

If you require expert legal services in relation to all Personal Protection Orders, Injunctions or Restraining Orders, speak to us as soon as possible so that we can advice you and adequately prepare you for the range of legal matters and options open to you that you will need to consider.

We are ready and able to provide advice, appear and also brief experienced Expert Counsel on an urgent basis to attend in order to best defend, safeguard and advance your rights and interests in all injunction and restraining order matters.

Get In Touch

divorce lawyer melbourne

Level 6, 326 William Street, melbourne
(03) 8379 1000

Translate ยป